Friday, September 28, 2007

One Laptop Per Child

http://www.eschoolnews.com/news/showStoryRSS.cfm?ArticleID=7385

I found an interesting bit of info on Eschool News about XO laptops. These are the low cost laptops that were developed for K-12 students in mind. I would love to see the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) initiative become a reality. I know that my writing process has totally changed since I bought my first computer 11 years ago. My first college experience in the 1980’s didn’t require me to touch a mouse, but when I returned in 2000 it was a whole different ball game.

The latest information on the XO is that U.S. and Canadian educators will be offered these laptops for $400 during November. This promotion will be a BOGO (buy-one-get-one). You won’t get the second one for yourself, though. The second laptop will be given to a child in a poor country. It’s a warm, fuzzy idea that I hope takes off like a rocket.

The OLPC initiative can help us give our elementary and high school children the tools they need to succeed. To get the background on this program go to the following link:
http://laptop.org/vision/index.shtml

2 comments:

Francia M said...

I totally agree this is an amazing thing! Can you imagine? What if a group of children in the Dominican Republic went to school online with classmates in Alabama? The teacher would be webcasting while in the classroom and children worldwide were participating together. Each class adopted a group of students and the goal was to learn together. I also see great promise in this idea.

Anonymous said...

I read something about this earlier on a different site and thought that the one free laptop was being sent the children in third world countries. You say the initiative can help our children, did you find information about it helping in the US? Do you know anything about these computers because these prices seem to good to be true?
I like what Harlem Mama says also about this allowing students around the world to be able to communicate and learn together.
Diane from class