Friday, September 28, 2007

Teaching With Blogs

Middle school students are bursting with self-expression. All you have to do is look at the artwork that they create in my class to realize this.


Using blogs for this age group would definitely give these students an excellent outlet. One of my favorite topics that I use to challenge the minds of my students is that of the Elgin Marbles.

(Check out the debate)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/greeks/parthenon_debate_01.shtml

My students could read or view video on the Elgin Marble debate and then propose a solution that they feel is fair. Their proposals would be excellent fuel for blogging. They could back up their argument with links to other blogs or sites.

2 comments:

Maryanne said...

This topic definitely lends itself to a good debate because of the many possible and existing viewpoints.

The article that you linked to seems a little long for elementary school children, but maybe I am underestimating them. :-)

Dr. Burgos

Will said...

Hi there,

Yes, the format is nice for a blog because the nature of the web is linking to things that already are in existance.

I like some of the questions the article raises, such as: "Do monuments such as the Parthenon belong to the whole world?"

Your blog looks very nice.

:)